Enosoft Users Group Forum Index Enosoft Users Group
high performance tools for music and video

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aspect ratio; interlacing flag; on/off shortcut

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Enosoft Users Group Forum Index -> Enhanced DV Decoder
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pupkin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Aspect ratio; interlacing flag; on/off shortcut Reply with quote

Thanks for a nice product. A few questions:

* When I play SD DV full screen in WMP or MPC with EDVD, the aspect ratio seems off. The DAR is 4:3, so there should be wide black bars on the sides of my laptop wide screen, but the bars are narrow and the video is stretched horizontally. If I disable EDVD, video is played with default MS DV decoder with correct aspect ratio (wide black bars on the sides), but of course I lose the date code. Is there a way to fix this? (BTW, decoding DV with libavcodec implemented in ffdshow has the same issue.)

* EDVD doesn't deinterlace interlaced DV video, but seems to flag its output as progressive, so a smart deinterlacer (next in chain) that ignores frames flagged as progressive doesn't kick in. Is there a way to keep interlaced flag for interlaced video decoded with EDVD?

I guess both of the issues above could be addressed if DV decoding was done by the MS decoder, while EDVD would just overlay the date and other text on top of already decoded video. Is that possible?

Finally, is there a way to turn the EDVD date display on and off from within a player while playing video without having to launch the config utility (from Start menu or desktop shortcut)? A keyboard shortcut for this would be best. Also it would be nice to access the EDVD config utility from the Filters menu in MPC (available with right-click when video is playing), just like I can access ffdshow config.

Thank you
JohnnyMalaria
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

WME and the MS DV decoder seem to use an undocumented way of communicating that makes WME display the decoded video at the correct on-screen aspect ratio. For other decoders, WME just displays the frames with square pixel format. For NTSC, the frame size is 720 x 480 and, on a standard PC display, the video looks too fat. For PAL, it looks too skinny (720 x 576).

Re interlacing, I'll have to look into that.

Overlaying the date etc onto the output from the MS DV decoder is technically possible but would require wrapping the MS decoder inside another one. This would likely lead to the same aspect ratio issue since the undocumented communication mentioned above would not get to the MS decoder.

John.
pupkin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, John

The aspect ratio (correct with MS decoder, incorrect with EDVD) is also present in MPC (Media Player Classic), which is not a MS app. I found a workaround by forcing correct AR in MPC using its View - Video Frame - Override Aspect Ratio menu item.

I do playback deinterlacing with ffdshow, and my workaround for that issue is to check "Process frames flagged as progressive" in ffdshow deinterelacing options.

Having EDVD overlay DV data on top of video decoded with MS codec would be nice. When playing video decoded with EDVD I see a "net" of blocks, which is not there with the MS decoder. I don't know if MS decoder applies deblocking or some other postprocessing, which EDVD doesn't, but video decoded with the MS codec looks significantly better to my eye. Ideally EDVD would have on option to overlay DV data on top of video decoded with the default DV decoder, which may or may not be MS (depending on what's installed and the merits). Avisynth plugin DVInfo seems to be doing that.

I assume clicking the appropriate button in the config utility is the only way to turn EDVD date/time dispay on and off while video is playing?

Thank you

JohnnyMalaria wrote:
Hi,

WME and the MS DV decoder seem to use an undocumented way of communicating that makes WME display the decoded video at the correct on-screen aspect ratio. For other decoders, WME just displays the frames with square pixel format. For NTSC, the frame size is 720 x 480 and, on a standard PC display, the video looks too fat. For PAL, it looks too skinny (720 x 576).

Re interlacing, I'll have to look into that.

Overlaying the date etc onto the output from the MS DV decoder is technically possible but would require wrapping the MS decoder inside another one. This would likely lead to the same aspect ratio issue since the undocumented communication mentioned above would not get to the MS decoder.

John.
wastol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I have the same problem. The video quality is bad because Windows Media Player doesn't deinterlace with EDVD (but do so with MS decoder).
Is there any possibility to play the videos deinterlaced with EDVD? I like the software and would buy it, but so it's useless for me...
pupkin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wastol wrote:
Hello,

I have the same problem. The video quality is bad because Windows Media Player doesn't deinterlace with EDVD (but do so with MS decoder).
Is there any possibility to play the videos deinterlaced with EDVD? I like the software and would buy it, but so it's useless for me...

wastol: I think this is due to the issue that I mentioned above where EDVD flags video as progressive even though video is interlaced and EDVD doesn't deinterlace it. As a result, WMP and/or your graphics card skip deinterlacing. You can try my workaround (and get some extras along the way):

1. Download and install the latest stable version of ffdshow. Then open "Video decoder configuration".

2. Select "all supported" from drop-down for "Raw video" at the bottom of the list under Codecs, and check "Enable in WMP11" at the bottom. This will activate ffdshow for post-processing (as opposed to decoding) in WMP.

3. Check Deinterlacing, check "Process frames flagged as progressive", and select "Yet Another DeInterlacing Filter (yadif)" from the drop-down. Also check "Double framerate" if your computer can handle it.

4. Click OK to close ffdshow configuration, and play DV normally with WMP and EDVD - ffdshow will perform high quality deinterlacing in the background.

BTW, you can use ffdshow for many more things not available in WMP. For example, you can use "Resize & aspect" to set the correct aspect ratio.
JohnnyMalaria
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wastol wrote:
Hello,

The decoder is intentially designed to decompress the video to an image that exactly represents the content rather than apply deinterlacing etc. Other DirectShow or VfW-based media players that support deinterlacing should be able to use our decoder successfully.

The MS decoder doesn't deinterlace, either. It is WMP that does it. However, the MS decoder can decode at full, half and quarter resolution. If configured to decode at half resolution, it can appear to be deinterlaced since every other line is ignored.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Enosoft Users Group Forum Index -> Enhanced DV Decoder All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: